Dependents & Exemptions

Claim Your Parent - Lives With You As A Dependent And Receiving Social Security

Probably yes. Gross income for the dependent test does not include non-taxable social security, tax exempt interest or gifts. For tax year 2013, if his gross income is less than $3,900, then he satisfies the gross income test criteria for claiming him as dependent. Speak to your local CPA to verify if your father meets the other 4 dependency tests so you can claim him as a dependent.

Note If you need professional help with "Dependents & Exemptions" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.